Thursday, January 27, 2011

Latest Read - Outlander...Tackling Gabaldon

For whatever reason, I have dreaded writing this review.  It must be due to the fact that I am still unsure about my opinion of  Outlander.  I know that this is a much beloved series...and I have only read the first two novels...yet, I can't agree with Galbadon's many followers.  I don't love the books thus far but I don't hate them either.  It's just that I have a few qualms with the novels.  First up, Outlander:


So as not to give too much of the story away...it's about a woman who accidentally time travels from 1945 to 200 years earlier in Scotland and her subsequent adventures and struggles.  What I did like about this book is that it's an extremely quick read due to the fact that it's pretty jam-packed with action.  Also, the character of Jamie Fraser is just wonderfully yummy (bordering on too good to be true, but I'll let that slide).  What I didn't like about it was there was quite a bit of gratuitous sex and sadistic violence...it almost made me feel like I was reading a soap opera (I dunno, that's the best metaphor I can think up).  I could have done with a little bit less detailed description of both the multiple sex and torture scenes (especially the latter).  Did these aspects of the book put me completely off?  No.  In fact, the sex scenes were quite sexy ;)  Buuut, it did give the book a bit of a trashy feel...this would definitely fall into the guilty pleasure category.  Also, the writing was okay, not superb...just adequate.

In sum, if you want an entertaining read, you like romance and history, and don't mind quite a bit of sex and violence...by all means pick this book up!  However, I think all the rave reviews raised my expectations a bit too high for this series.  Thus, my warning is that (in my opinion) this series is yet another fun escapist bit of historical fiction...don't put it up on a pedestal. :)

I'll tackle book #2 of the series in my next post!

3.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment