Thursday, May 26, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Rut

btt button

Do you ever feel like you’re in a reading rut? That you don’t read enough variety? That you need to branch out, spread your literary wings and explore other genres, flavors, styles?

Actually, I was just thinking that very thing this morning.  I decided I need to take a little break from the paranormal/supernatural stuff.  I just finished City of Bones and while I enjoyed it immensely...I thought I would like it a bit more.  After pondering that for a minute I realized that the reason for any dissatisfaction with the book is that I'm just burned out on the whole vampire, demon, werewolf thing.  I've read a number of books this year with these supernatural elements and it's become rather tired for me.  I read a variety of books from all sorts of genres so ignoring the supernatural bit for awhile will be no problem.  Has anyone else read to much of a certain genre and grown tired of it?

6 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean! I try to spice up my reading life by alternating between young adult, literary and women's fiction works -- just so I don't feel like I'm developing too much of a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Variety in both book and author is helpful.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this, since I used to do it all the time. I read so much Stephen King in the 90s that I really couldn't stand him anymore. I picked up Misery last year at work, and it was good, but also very Stephen King. The mere fact that I felt that way tells me I need to wait a few more years to read his books again (or maybe I'm just really over him for good).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get bogged down and bored with the same genre after two back-to-back books sometimes. I have a little rule of my own that I don't read any books in the same series back to back (unless I'm practically drooling over them, which is very rare)...this helps me immensely. Otherwise, the way I organize my reading, I don't often read the same genre back to back. I typically alternate enough to keep it interesting. ;)

    Don't give up on the Mortal Instruments series...trust me! Come back to them later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I really did like City of Bones...I will definitely be coming back to it after I've read several non-supernatural books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely get burned out on one type of genre. I can go weeks reading the same type of book that I end up getting sick of them.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-19.html

    ReplyDelete