Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sorry for the loooooong hiatus

Hey folks!  Sorry for the crazy long break from blogging...once again life is getting in the way.  I am moving AGAIN (remember I talked about it before) so things are pretty hectic right now!  Most of my time is spent packing books away rather than reading :(

Indianapolis here we come!

I have been reading but it's been more re-reading rather than taking on new books.  I think when I get stressed I prefer the comfort of my favorites rather than getting engrossed in a new book.  Does anyone else feel that way?


Another event on the horizon that I'm really excited about is a trip to Italy and London!  Does anybody have any recommendations of books with settings in Rome, Florence, Venice, and/or London (especially historical fiction)?  I think it might make my sightseeing more fun if I had some bookish context.  My updates might be a bit slapdash and sporadic for the next few months but I will try and post while all of this craziness is happening :)

5 comments:

  1. I did the Rome, Florence, Venice trip a few years ago and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love London and Italy. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

    My recommendation for historical fiction set in London is London by Edward Rutherfurd. It's a very long book, but very good.

    For Italian historical fiction I'd recommend The Birth of Venice by Sarah Dunant (Florence), or the Master of Verona by David Blixt (Verona).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations! I think I'm going to have to bring The Birth of Venice with me on the trip!

      Delete
  3. Yay for moving to Indy!!! As for your trip we definitely need to get coffee. I've been to all of those cities and would love to pass on tips! As for books, read The City of Falling Angels for Venice. I read it on the train from London to Venice and loved it. Rome = Angels and Demons, Florence = Monster of Florence and Under the Tuscan Sun (much more realistic than the movie, though the movie is fun!). And there are tons and tons of books for London! The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street is the sequel to 84, Charring Cross Road, a perfect London read. Imagined London is another good one. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but email me if you want more. Happy planning and unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your recommendations - I'll have to see if I can quick grab one of these from the library!

      We are moving up tomorrow and Saturday and then immediately leaving for Europe...otherwise I would totally want to meet up with you for coffee! Maybe when I get back and we can swap Italy/London stories?

      Delete