Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Middle-Aged Man Books :)

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Your Choice! My Uncle requested that I make a list of top books for middle-aged men.  So, here's my attempt!

1.  In the Woods by Tana French - an Irish crime thriller that's extremely well-written!

2.  Good Omens by Terri Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - hilarious tale of the apocalypse.

3.  Any book by Oliver Sachs - nonfiction for those intrigued by how the brain works.


4.  The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell - a priest and his friends in space...sounds strange but it's a terrific book!

5.  Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell - extremely disturbing novel about a really messed-up family, but very good (soon to be a movie starring Andrew Garfield and Jennifer Garner).

6.  Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - a fun science fiction book that heavily references 80's pop-culture (my husband really liked this one).

7.  Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond - nonfiction for history-lovers.

8.  What is the What by Dave Eggers - the true story of an actual lost boy of Sudan.

9.  Peace Like a River by Leif Enger - a modern Western that is beautifully written with a spiritual message.

10.  Anything by David Sedaris for a good laugh.
    There's my list!  Admittedly, I'm not well versed in books of the crime/mystery genres.  Does anyone else have some good suggestions for my Uncle?  If so, leave them in the comments!

      7 comments:

      1. Great list! I love David Sedaris. The Sparrow sounds really interesting. I am adding it to my TBR list.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Oooh Ready Player One won the Alex Award yesterday! Did you know that?

        What about The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro? That is, if he doesdn't mind that type of genre...Book one is actually called The Strain.

        And I always love Cormac McCarthy, particularly The Road.

        ReplyDelete
      3. Ah! I like a lot of books on this list, and want to read most all the ones I haven't read. Does this mean that I am more like a middle aged man? I am a 25 year old female. I now feel a little freaked out. lol.

        Beth ^_^
        http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

        ReplyDelete
      4. That was an awesome idea for a list. I hope to get to Ready Player One soon!

        ReplyDelete
      5. Ha Ha. I love your topic :-)

        If your uncle enjoys mysteries (detective novels) I recommend Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley mysteries, Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander books and Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus books.

        ReplyDelete
      6. Good Omens was my first (accidental) brush with Terry Pratchett, and now I'm absolutely hooked. The puns, how they make me laugh!

        Clever list idea, Kat. Hope your uncle finds something he likes on it!

        ReplyDelete
      7. David Sedaris is hilarious. Me Talk Pretty One Day is one of my very favorite books.

        ReplyDelete