The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Top Ten Books I'd Like to See Made into a Movie.
I'm going to preface this list by saying that many of my MOST FAVORITE books are absent from the top ten because I simply don't see how a movie could do justice to that book. This may be due to length, complexity of story, or that I feel it will easily get lost in translation. That being said, the novels listed are all fantastic books that should ALSO make terrific movies.
1. Dystopian YA: Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Divergent by Veronica Roth, and/or Enclave by Anne Aguirre - I could easily see any of these becoming the "next big thing" in movie franchises (each is the first book in a trilogy). Also, I would be just as excited to see the film versions of these books as I was with The Hunger Games!
2. When She Woke by Hillary Jordan - I can never forget the excitement a friend of mine had when he overheard me describing this book...thinking it was a movie. And when I thought about it, I realized that it would be a pretty visually stunning story with "chromed" humans and whatnot (I mean, just look at the cover)!
3. Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal - I love Austen-esque books and movies and think that the "glamour" (or magic) element involved in this reinterpretation would be extremely interesting to see on-screen!
4. Awesome kick-butt female YA fantasy: Graceling by Kristin Cashore, The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan, and/or Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder - all of the heroines in these novels would be great role-models for young girls...plus their stories are all multi-faceted with elements of intrigue, action and romance!
5. The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta - I could see this becoming a really fantastic indie film. It wasn't one of my favorite books (though I did like it) but I could see this becoming an award-winning movie.
6. Flip by Martyn Bedford - this is a short book but it packs a punch! If well done, I think a movie version could have the same power.
7. Ill Wind by Rachel Caine - people controlling the weather, how visually stunning!
8. The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly - twisted fairytale coming of age story...how cool does that sound?
9. Soulless by Gail Carriger - it's been proven that people love their supernatural films and I think that this story and these characters would make an AMAZING movie!
10. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - I think this would make a really interesting drama-filled historical film. Has there been a plague movie yet?