Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Film Adaptations

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Top Ten Books I'd Like to See Made into a Movie.

I'm going to preface this list by saying that many of my MOST FAVORITE books are absent from the top ten because I simply don't see how a movie could do justice to that book.  This may be due to length, complexity of story, or that I feel it will easily get lost in translation.  That being said, the novels listed are all fantastic books that should ALSO make terrific movies.

1.  Dystopian YA: Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Divergent by Veronica Roth, and/or Enclave by Anne Aguirre - I could easily see any of these becoming the "next big thing" in movie franchises (each is the first book in a trilogy).  Also, I would be just as excited to see the film versions of these books as I was with The Hunger Games!

Enclave
Delirium
Divergent









2.  When She Woke by Hillary Jordan - I can never forget the excitement a friend of mine had when he overheard me describing this book...thinking it was a movie.  And when I thought about it, I realized that it would be a pretty visually stunning story with "chromed" humans and whatnot (I mean, just look at the cover)!

3.  Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal - I love Austen-esque books and movies and think that the "glamour" (or magic) element involved in this reinterpretation would be extremely interesting to see on-screen!

4.  Awesome kick-butt female YA fantasy: Graceling by Kristin Cashore, The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan, and/or Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder - all of the heroines in these novels would be great role-models for young girls...plus their stories are all multi-faceted with elements of intrigue, action and romance!

Graceling
The Poison Throne
Poison Study









5. The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta - I could see this becoming a really fantastic indie film.  It wasn't one of my favorite books (though I did like it) but I could see this becoming an award-winning movie.

6.  Flip by Martyn Bedford - this is a short book but it packs a punch!  If well done, I think a movie version could have the same power.

7.  Ill Wind by Rachel Caine - people controlling the weather, how visually stunning!

8.  The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly - twisted fairytale coming of age story...how cool does that sound?

9.  Soulless by Gail Carriger - it's been proven that people love their supernatural films and I think that this story and these characters would make an AMAZING movie!

10.  Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - I think this would make a really interesting drama-filled historical film.  Has there been a plague movie yet?

7 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with Year of Wonders and Soulless! Great list, and I'll have to check out some of the books here I haven't read. Flip and When She Woke look intriguing!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Delirium and Graceling. Awesome list! :D

    Drop by my Top 10?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see Soulless turned into a movie, that book was so much fun! Shades of Milk and Honey sounds great, I cannot believe I have not read it yet. Addding it my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Divergent and Delirium. Haven't read any of the others, but some of them are on my to read list! My Top Ten & Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's exciting to know that at least one of Lauren Oliver's books has been optioned for film (Before I Fall). It's only a matter of time before Delirium is picked up. Same with Divergent... I love that fact that I haven't read a good number of the books you listed. More to add to the BR list! :)

    Jenna @ Making the Grade
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read a couple of the books on your list, but I agree that Soulless would make for a great adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a Divergent movie! I think it could be really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete