Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Habibi

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that showcases upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week I'm impatiently yearning for the graphic novel Habibi by Craig Thompson


Goodreads Summary:
Sprawling across an epic landscape of deserts, harems, and modern industrial clutter, Habibi tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, by circumstance, and by the love that grows between them. We follow them as their lives unfold together and apart; as they struggle to make a place for themselves in a world (not unlike our own) fueled by fear, lust, and greed; and as they discover the extraordinary depth—and frailty—of their connection.

At once contemporary and timeless, Habibi gives us a love story of astounding resonance: a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between the first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and, most potently, the magic of storytelling.

14 comments:

  1. Ooo, the story sounds good but I've never read a graphic novel before and I'm not sure how I would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read a graphic novel. I keep seeing these that make me want to try.

    Lisa
    Lisa's World of Books, Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds amazing- I am adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty interesting! I'll be sure to check it out :)
    Amy's Waiting on Wednesday

    Check out my Summer Favorites Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited about this one too! Definitely on my TBR list!

    Please check out my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one looks awesome; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good! Thanks for sharing! :)

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature
    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I discovered this is an educational and intriguing post for I think it is helpful and learned. I might want to thank you for the endeavors you have made recorded as a hard copy this article. I am trusting a similar best work from you later on too. Indeed your exploratory writing capacity has propelled me.
    Creative highs

    ReplyDelete