Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Latest Read - The House at Riverton

I recently finished Kate Morton's The House at Riverton:

As you may recall, I gave a glowing review of Ms. Morton's other novel The Forgotten Garden.  Which is why I immediately purchased this novel, her first.  I truly love her writing and while the book was every bit a page turner of wonderful imagery in an exciting time, it was also a bit depressing a la Atonement.  This wistful "if only this character hadn't done this one thing everything would be okay" aspect haunts me...and because it remained in my thoughts for so long I realize the value of this novel.  Yet, I prefer The Forgotten Garden a bit more...perhaps her writing became more refined over time? Or maybe I just liked the story better?  I can't put my finger on it quite yet, but I can say that I will be reading her newest novel The Distant Hours very soon!!

3.5/5 stars.

But first, a little bit of Science Fiction with The Eyre Affair I'll be sure to review it when I'm finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment