The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Top Ten Best "Forced" Reads.
Thanks to some Elementary/Jr. High School teachers, I've read these great books:
1. Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
2. The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen by Lloyd Alexander
3. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
4. Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
Some miscellaneous "forced" reads:
5. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman...read this interesting book as required for a college Anthropology course.
6. The Plague by Albert Camus...read for a High School English/Philosophy course
Lastly, thanks to my book club (The Btown Booksters) I've read:
7. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield...great gothic bookish story!
8. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver...haunting!
9. Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell...again, haunting. The Btown Booksters seem to have an affinity for these types of books :)
10. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn...despite all of the buzz surrounding this book, I wouldn't have read it if it weren't for my book club because I was convinced I wouldn't like it (due to others stating that the characters were despicable). I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong!