Friday, June 1, 2012

TGIF!


Ginger over at GReads created this fantastic TGIF meme featuring a question and a weekly recap. 

This Friday's Question:
Issue Books: Which books have you found to be very rewarding when it comes to tackling tougher issues?  

When I saw this question, I immediately thought of the recent Btown Booksters read We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. 


This book dealt with some really tough issues and was increasingly difficult to read because of the creepy subject matter.  Still, it was a haunting novel filled with unforeseen twists that stays with you long after you finish the last page.  We Need to Talk About Kevin deals with issues of female identity and motherhood, parenting problems, conditional love, and atrocious acts of violence. 


Also, I recently finished Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews and it totally creeped me out.  For those who don't know, it's a book about parental neglect/abuse, greed, religious fervor, and incest.  It's considered a cult classic YA novel, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I've read books that have had elements of incest in them before (weird but true) but this one disturbed me a bit more...perhaps because it's a novel meant for teenagers?  I was actually okay with Flowers in the Attic after finishing it but curiosity lead me to seek out what happens in the subsequent books of the series (as I wasn't planning on continuing) and yikes!  Has anyone else read Flowers in the Attic?  What were your thoughts?

Anyways, I hope y'all have a fantastic weekend - I know I will since I'm a bridesmaid in the wedding of my two good friends on Saturday.  Yay, so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment