Time to do some end-of-the-year reading reflections! I used Perpetual Page Turner's survey last year and decided to have a go at it again this year.
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)Adult: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
YA: Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?Unfortunately, Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen didn't really do it for me...but I think my expectations were too high. Also, I couldn't get into Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry - I'm hoping I can come back to it with renewed interest later (I'm only 300ish pages into this chunkster).
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?That would be To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. I wasn't sure what to expect from a historical sci-fi comedy of errors - but, wow was I enthralled with this book!
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?Definitely The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?I really enjoyed the first book in the Lunar Chronicles
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?David Mitchell and Connie Willis
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?I have to say, I didn't read much that was out of my comfort zone this year - but I loved the one non-fiction book I read which was Tina Fey's Bossypants.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (an intense conclusion to a great trilogy) and Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:Flat Out Love by Jessica Park - it was an adorable story with really witty dialogue...a treat to read!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
11. Most memorable character in 2012?Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars and Patroclus from The Song of Achilles
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?Eeeek! How can I choose?! I'm going to say Cloud Atlas because each character's story was written in a completely different style - what a feat!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?Probably Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Like I said in my review, it came at time in my life where some of the themes and insights were really comforting.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?I Captured the Castle by Dodie Smith - an adorable story!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once." - John Green, The Fault in Our Stars (what a terrific line!)
“Why fight the 'natural' (oh, weaselly word!) order of things? Why? Because of this―one fine day, a purely predatory world shall consume itself. In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction.”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?Shortest: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel at 224 pages
Longest: Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey at 1,015 pages