Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Latest Read: The Passage

Whoa, a vampire book...how original!  I know that's what you'd probably think after reading a short synopsis of this novel...but really, it's nothing like the Twilights and such of current literature (although I understand the draw of those books).  This is not some teenage angsty romance novel with some vampires and werewolves thrown in for a bit of a twist, rather, it's militarized, glowing, freaky-as-all-get-out vamps.  In the same sense, it's not a quick read, but rather a dystopian saga that will take you through a horrifying apocalyptic reality. The author weaves together many story lines that develop into a tale encompassing one hundred years and almost 800 pages.


I liked it...I did.  Just, once again, given the hype...I thought it would be better (maybe I should just stop believing hype, eh?).  The book is great, really, once you get past 130 pages of intro...and still I was only beginning to be mildly interested. Then, after a bit, I was completely sucked into the story.  But, if it hadn't been for the glowing praise of this novel...I may have given up on it before the narrative drew me in.  So, main complaint: the beginning is too long with too many story-lines (I know they're needed...but there must be a better way to condense all of this information and slim down the book a bit).

The other thing that I think everyone should know about The Passage is that this is the first book in a planned series.  Sooo...be prepared for an unsatisfactory ending in that, it leaves you wanting more.  But really, if you can get over the first 130 pages or so...you will be completely drawn into this story.  I don't want to say too much because, as always, I don't want to give too much away.  I will say that I highly recommend...I'll be interested to see what more Cronin has coming our way!

3.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment