Friday, March 18, 2011

Latest Read: Fingersmith

This was my first foray into the lesbian Victoriana of Sarah Waters and I quite enjoyed it!


From Goodreads:

Growing up as a foster child among a family of thieves, orphan Sue Trinder hopes to pay back that kindness by playing a key role in a swindle scheme devised by their leader, Gentleman, who is planning to con a fortune out of the naive Maud Lily, but Sue's growing pity for their helpless victim could destroy the plot.

Twists and turns abound in this gothic novel!  Every time you think you have a grasp on the plot, the next chapter throws it on its head.  This compulsively readable story allows you to view the tale unfold from both the perspective of Sue and of Maud.  The book begins rather slowly at first but soon heats up as unknown plans and motivations are revealed.

I thought the novel was really good but I didn't love it as much as others do.  The plot surprises are fantastic...I think I actually gasped out loud a time or two.  Yet, I thought parts dragged a bit, especially in the beginning.  Despite a few slow moments at the start, I do recommend the novel.  If you like Victorian literature, strong female characters and a gripping story (and who doesn't?) then you will love this book!

3.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment