Friday, August 19, 2011

Latest Review: Girls in White Dresses

Goodreads Summary:
Wry, hilarious, and utterly recognizable, Girls in White Dresses tells the story of three young women grappling with heartbreak and career change, family pressure and new love—all while suffering through an endless round of weddings and bridal showers.


Isabella, Mary, and Lauren are going to be bridesmaids in Kristi’s wedding. On Sunday after Sunday, at bridal shower after bridal shower, they coo over toasters, eat tiny sandwiches, and drink mimosas. They’re all happy for Kristi, but they do have the ups and downs of their own lives to cope with. Isabella is working at a mailing-list company, where she’s extremely successful, and wildly unhappy. Mary is in love with a man who may never love any woman as much as he loves his mother. And Lauren, a waitress at a midtown bar, finds herself drawn to a man she’s pretty sure she hates.

With blind dates and ski vacations, boozy lunches and family holidays, relationships lost to politics and relationships found in pet stores, Girls in White Dresses pulls us deep inside the circle of these friends, perfectly capturing the wild frustrations and soaring joys of modern life.



My thoughts:
I've seen a lot of ranting and raving over this one - which is why I picked it up from the library.  But honestly, my reaction was "meh."  It wasn't bad but it wasn't really great either.  The story is told in little vignettes about each of the many characters (delineated by chapter) which didn't allow me to truly feel for the characters.

If I'm giving my recommendation it would be this: it's a decent, sometimes funny read...but nothing mind-blowing.  It does illustrate realistic relationships...but, I don't know, it just wasn't all that compelling of a read for me.  I wish I had known this prior because then I would have put it later on my TBR list.  Recommended for hardcore chick-lit fans and/or folks that are interested in modern relationships of people in their 20s and 30s.

3/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it wasn't very good- it is always hard for me to finish a book that isn't all that entertaining or interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts on this one. This is sort of what I thought it was. I'll keep it in the back of my mind in the event that I need something like this one of these days, but there is so much excellent stuff out there right now that I probably won't run out and grab it right away. :)

    Sounds like it might make a nice movie??

    ~Asheley

    ReplyDelete