Thursday, September 27, 2012

Latest Review: Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Goodreads Summary:
In this striking literary debut, Carol Rifka Brunt unfolds a moving story of love, grief, and renewal as two lonely people become the unlikeliest of friends and find that sometimes you don’t know you’ve lost someone until you’ve found them.

1987. There’s only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and that’s her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn’s company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June’s world is turned upside down. But Finn’s death brings a surprise acquaintance into June’s life—someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.


An emotionally charged coming-of-age novel, Tell the Wolves I’m Home is a tender story of love lost and found, an unforgettable portrait of the way compassion can make us whole again.

 
My Thoughts:
Why doesn't this book have more hype surrounding it??  I thought it was fantastic!  One of my IRL reader friends always accuses me of recommending books that make her cry...and, welp, this one is no exception.  I definitely had red-rimmed eyes after finishing Tell the Wolves I'm Home.  I guess I just like stories and characters that can invoke a wide range of emotions.


I loved looking at the story through June's lens.  Her attention to detail and creative imaginings reminded me of myself at a young age.  I really liked that June's insecurities stemmed from her perceived inability to understand her relationships rather than perceived physical or character flaws.  It was a refreshing way to portray self-doubt.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home is one of those soul-feeding novels - definitely on my short list of my top books read in 2012!  Get thee to the library/bookstore and read this book!  You won't be sorry.

Quote I Like:
 "I don't know.  None of those things should have mattered, but I guess they did.  I guess they were like water.  Soft and harmless until enough time went by.  Then all of a sudden you found yourself with the Grand Canyon on your hands." -- pg. 36

Soundtrack Recommendation: 
While I read this, I was listening to Philip Glass' Glassworks album.  If I were to get specific...I particularly envision the song "Opening" for large portions of the story and for the scenes in the woods I hear "Islands."

Also, there's several references to music throughout the novel that should bear mentioning and would perhaps make great accompaniment to your reading experience:
  • Mozart's Requiem
  • classical guitar music (for the bits with Toby)
  • Late 80's hits like "New Years Day" by U2
5/5 Stars!!

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this book, it sounds great! Adding it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this one! I remember seeing it on a few 'buzz' lists, but it wasn't until I read a blog review that I actually knew what it was about. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've immediately added this one to my TBR list. It's funny, I realized recently that I do the same thing with recommending "downer" books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If It makes you feel better - all I've read are GREAT, RAVING reviews about this book from bloggers so it's getting the hype it deserves. Great review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just read this book too, and also thought it was brilliant. Lovely review.

    Rowena Hailey (Washington Personal Injury Attorney)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing. I don't think I would have necessarily picked up this book but your post makes me curious now.

    Marlene Detierro (Fishing Deschutes River)

    ReplyDelete