Monday, January 17, 2011

Latest Read - The Name of the Wind

Tolkien fan?  Lover of fairy-stories and valiant heroes?  If so...you'll love the first novel by Patrick Rothfuss.


The story follows Kvothe the wonderfully arrogant and charming hero of the novel.  Some may say he's too good to be true, but I think he's an endearing and brilliant protagonist.  Speaking of what some say, this book got rave reviews from every direction (i.e. "this is the epic trilogy of our generation" etc.).  It's definitely deserving of great praise, but could easily be over-hyped...so be warned, don't enter into this magical world with ridiculous expectations of a life-changing novel but be assured...it's a seriously (seriously) terrific book.  I say this because I read some snarky reviews of this book and thought "what?!  Did they read the same novel??"  And it seems that all the overzealous praise The Name of the Wind garnered may have caused people to be suspicious of the hype and underwhelmed with the book :(
  
I really don't want to give to much of the story away...so, let's see...this is the first book in a series of three and is largely comprised of Kvothe's own telling of his young life to "the Chronicler."  Occasionally, the book slips back to present day revealing a troubled older Kvothe (I'm sure the reasons for this will be revealed in the subsequent books).  

The writing in this book is just...poetic.  I easily get bored with flowery descriptions and tend to skim over these so as not to lose interest.  This never occurred during my reading of The Name of the Wind...I savored every word AND it was quite the page turner (I've found that many times these two characteristics are mutually exclusive).  In sum, I heartily recommend!  Check out this video of the author himself discussing the novel:


~Also, the sequel comes out this March...can't wait to snatch that up!

5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment