Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Latest Read: Enclave

Apparently I have a thing for dystopian sagas this year...The Hunger Games series, The Chaos Walking trilogy and now The Razorland series.

I recently finished the first in this wonderful new YA series by Ann Aguirre.  I really enjoyed this novel (one of my favs of the year) and am looking forward to seeing what befalls the characters in the next installment of the trilogy.


I really don't like the publisher summary as it's a bit too spoilery...so I'm going to try and give you a vaguer one (hint, if you get the book, don't read the back cover...it basically gives away the main plot points).  So, here goes:

In this gritty post-apocalyptic zombie story the reader follows Deuce (our awesome teenage heroine that kicks-butt) through her naming ceremony in which she officially becomes a "huntress."  She and her partner (an outcast boy named Fade) must do their duty to hunt for food and kill the "freaks" that come near their underground enclave.  Soon, Deuce's world is turned upside down and she must fight for her life in ways she never imagined.

There, I hope that gives you enough of a taste to whet your appetite.  I love the character of Deuce.  She's a strong female role model but she's also made more realistic through her faults and her naivete.  I wholeheartedly recommend this book.  Enclave encompasses an imaginative world with lots of action, adventure and romance - go get a copy!

**Update: the publisher has changed the summary to be less revealing...so just watch out for other online reviews as many use the older version (including GoodReads)

4/5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, they changed that blurb on my request. I too thought it was too spoilery. But I can't get people to stop using it on the internet. BN adopted it, and someone keeps changing it on GoodReads when I put the one that's actually on the book jacket in place. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow...thanks for taking the time to comment Ann! I'm glad to hear that the summary has been changed. Hopefully readers can avoid the spoilery online version!

    ReplyDelete