Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Latest Review: Case Histories

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
Goodreads Summary:
A triumphant new novel from award-winner Kate Atkinson: a breathtaking story of families divided, love lost and found, and the mysteries of fate.

As Private Detective Jackson Brodie investigates all three cases, startling connections and discoveries emerge. Inextricably caught up in his clients grief, joy, and desire, Jackson finds their unshakable need for resolution very much like his own. 

Kate Atkinson's celebrated talent makes for a novel that positively sparkles with surprise, comedy, tragedy, and constant, page-turning delight.



My thoughts:
I looove Jackson Brodie - what a wonderful protagonist!  If you are a reader who loves fully-fleshed out characters, you will really enjoy Mr. Brodie as well as the Land sisters.

The beginning of the book was a bit slow because it alternated between all of the different cases.  Finally, after the first 5 or so chapters it started to pique my interest and keep me engaged.  Still, I kept thinking to myself "how on earth are all of these mysteries going to get solved by the end of the book?"  But Atkinson manages to solve them all and the ending is full of twists!  I guessed one of the conclusions, but the others totally took me by surprise.

I had really high expectations for Case Histories and the novel didn't quite live up to them.  But, I still enjoyed the story and I'll definitely be reading the next book in this series to decide if I want to continue with the Jackson Brodie novels.

3.5/5 stars

 This fulfills my Crime/Mystery entry for the Eclectic Reader 2012 Challenge!

Other Reviews:
The Avid Reader's Musings
Things Mean A Lot
Rhapsody in Books Weblog
 

2 comments:

  1. It's always such a bummer when a book doesn't meet expectations :( This was a great review,thanks!

    -Kate the Book Buff
    The Book Buff: Book Reviews for Regular People

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it was a good book, I wasn't overly thrilled with this one either. I was expecting more after all of the accolades.

    ReplyDelete