Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Latest Review: Somebody to Love

Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins
Goodreads Summary: After her father loses the family fortune in an insider-trading scheme, single mom Parker Welles is faced with some hard decisions. First order of business: go to Gideon’s Cove, Maine, to sell the only thing she now owns—a decrepit house in need of some serious flipping. When her father’s wingman, James Cahill, asks to go with her, she’s not thrilled…even if he is fairly gorgeous and knows his way around a toolbox.

Having to fend for herself financially for the first time in her life, Parker signs on as a florist’s assistant and starts to find out who she really is. Maybe James isn’t the glib lawyer she always thought he was. And maybe the house isn’t the only thing that needs a little TLC



My Thoughts:
Kristan Higgins is one of the top contemporary romance writers of the moment - most of her books are fantastic when you need a dose of chick-lit!  Somebody to Love is not one of her best, but I still really enjoyed the book.  It's so much fun to see what happens to Maggie and Malone from Higgins' earlier book Catch of the Day (one of my faves)!  Also, the last scene was ADORABLE, I actually teared up! 

Yet, I think what made this one fall flat a little for me is that Parker is not as loveable of a main character as most of Higgins' other main characters.  One of the delightful things about reading Higgins' novels is the quirky and endearing personalities she creates - and Parker's inner monologue wasn't as fun to read compared to past characters.  Another issue I had is that there are a few loose ends that were never entirely resolved which made the ending feel a little rushed.

I recommend this to Higgins' fans (especially those who've read Catch of the Day and/or The Next Best Thing [which features Parker as a side character]) and to those who enjoy contemporary romance novels.

3/5 stars - solid contemporary romance fare.

This fulfills my Romantic Fiction entry for the Eclectic Reader 2012 Challenge!

***Disclosure: Received copy via Harlequin

3 comments:

  1. I see Kristan's books everywhere but have yet to read one. Sometimes you just need a cute love story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Meg, I've seen Kristan's books and heard her name but I haven't ever read any of them. One of these days I totally plan to. They all sound like they're good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what I have read of Higgins so far - light and fun though this one sounds like it has a few flaws.

    Thanks for sharing your Eclectic Reader review

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete