Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Hidden Gems


Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Top Ten Hidden Gems - AKA: books that should have more notoriety!  Seriously, you are missing out if you haven't read these and since they're not wildly well-known, you probably haven't read them - so get on it! :)

1.  The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips - historical fiction meets mystery with scholars, courtesans, political plots and romance!  This is a seriously fun read you guys - oh, and once you finish The Rossetti Letter be sure to pick up the fantastic sequel The Devlin Diary!!

2.  The Secrets of Jin-Shei by Alma Alexander - if you liked Snowflower and the Secret Fan you will also enjoy this lovely story of female friendship set in medieval China.

3.  Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware - I've already stated on this blog how much I like this book but I will reiterate that it is such a fun time-traveling romance!

4.  Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis - this is a delightful MG book with a hilarious main character!

5.  The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery - she's most famous for her Anne of Green Gables series, but I really love this much overlooked little novel!

6.  The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan - I think this series is actually somewhat popular, but I had never heard of it until I completely chanced upon this book at the library.  Amazing YA fantasy with fantastic world-building and a kick-butt heroine, what more could you ask for?

7.  Peace Like a River by Leif Enger - I really wish that everyone would read this beautifully written novel!

8.  The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer - gotta love a good comedy of errors and this is one of the best!

9.  You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning - wow, what a great modern romance!  I really enjoyed this unique bit of British chick-lit.

10.  Wise Child by Monica Furlong - even though I haven't read this book since childhood, I remember being utterly captivated by this story!


15 comments:

  1. Great list. I am surprised that I have not heard of The Blue Castle, I am such a huge Anne of Green Gables fan. I am going to have to see if I can get a copy of it, I am sure I will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great titles. I've read a few of them but I didn't know about the Blue Castle. I'll look into it. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do look into it! If you're a fan of LM Montgomery I think you'll really like it :)

      Delete
  3. Great list idea! I adore Georgette Heyer and am excited to see her listed. I'm intrigued by the Sarra Manning book...I like fun British chick-lit.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-tuesday-17-historical-romances.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyer is great - and Grand Sophy is my favorite! I really liked the Sarra Manning book...it's not a typical romance story :)

      Delete
  4. I love the cover to #4! It looks like such a cute read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And it is a really cute book - Kat is a spunky little hellion :)

      Delete
  5. love these books... have not heard of the blue castle myself though I love Anne.. am going to pick these up and add them to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had several credits with Paperbackswap and decided to check out your list. They had five out of ten! Pretty exciting. I ordered them all. I am really looking forward to Wild Child, I seem to be into children's lit lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - so glad you could find so many of them!! I really hope you like them as much as I do!

      Delete
  7. Wow, I don't think I've read a single book on this list! *adds to TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I don't think I've ever even heard of any of these before, except for A Cottage by the Sea, which I think I actually own. Maybe I should give that one a go or at least move it up on my TBR since you liked it and I trust your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome list! I adore Heyer, especially The Grand Sophy. And I'm adding The Secrets of Jin-Shei to my TBR list right after leaving this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete