Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Top Ten Tuesday: Hidden Gems
Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Top Ten Hidden Gems - AKA: books that should have more notoriety! Seriously, you are missing out if you haven't read these and since they're not wildly well-known, you probably haven't read them - so get on it! :)
1. The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips - historical fiction meets mystery with scholars, courtesans, political plots and romance! This is a seriously fun read you guys - oh, and once you finish The Rossetti Letter be sure to pick up the fantastic sequel The Devlin Diary!!
2. The Secrets of Jin-Shei by Alma Alexander - if you liked Snowflower and the Secret Fan you will also enjoy this lovely story of female friendship set in medieval China.
3. Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware - I've already stated on this blog how much I like this book but I will reiterate that it is such a fun time-traveling romance!
4. Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis - this is a delightful MG book with a hilarious main character!
5. The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery - she's most famous for her Anne of Green Gables series, but I really love this much overlooked little novel!
6. The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan - I think this series is actually somewhat popular, but I had never heard of it until I completely chanced upon this book at the library. Amazing YA fantasy with fantastic world-building and a kick-butt heroine, what more could you ask for?
7. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger - I really wish that everyone would read this beautifully written novel!
8. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer - gotta love a good comedy of errors and this is one of the best!
9. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning - wow, what a great modern romance! I really enjoyed this unique bit of British chick-lit.
10. Wise Child by Monica Furlong - even though I haven't read this book since childhood, I remember being utterly captivated by this story!
Labels: top ten tuesday