Thursday, March 29, 2012

Latest Review: Ill Wind

Goodreads Summary:
Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden. Usually, all it takes is a wave of her hand to tame the most violent weather. But now, she's trying to outrun another kind of storm: accusations of corruption and murder. So, she's resorting to the very human tactic of running for her life...

Her only hope is Lewis, the most powerful warden known. Unfortunately, he's stolen not one but three bottles of Djinn-making him the most wanted man on earth. Still, she's racing hard to find him-before the bad weather closes in fast.



My thoughts:
I thought Ill Wind was a really absorbing page-turner.  I've never read a weather-related fantasy novel nor a book with genies (the "Djinn") before so the subject matter was quite fresh.  Yet, I wasn't very emotionally invested in the characters and some of the relationships in the book progressed too quickly for me.  In the end, it wasn't the best book I've read in recent memory but it was a fun novel (perfect for a fantasy beach read).  I've also heard that as the series progresses more depth is added to the characters.  So, I think I'll have Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series in the back of my mind for books to read by the pool this summer.  Recommended to urban fantasy fans!

3.5/5 stars

Other Reviews:
Curiosity Killed the Bookworm

2 comments:

  1. I really like this series but I did read a load all in one go so maybe got more attached to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a feeling that I'll like it more as I keep reading the series...I'm really excited to read Heatstroke!

      Delete