Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Owned Books I'd Play Hooky With

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, this week's topic: Top Ten Books (On My Shelf) I'd Play Hooky With


1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - I bought this book eagerly anticipating reading it ASAP, but then I thought the hubs would like it.  Unfortunately, after he borrowed and loved it, I just never got around to reading it!

2. Boy's Life by Robert McCammon - this one's a chunkster, perfect to play hooky with!

3. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

4. American Gods by Neil Gaiman - can you believe I've never read a Gaiman book??  I know, my nerd card is revoked!  Well, I take that back, I've read Good Omens but that doesn't really count since it's co-authored.  Anyways, it's time I read some Gaiman!

5. Looking for Alaska by John Green - I love his books and would most definitely play hooky for the chance to read another :)

6. Middlemarch by George Eliot - if I'm going to play hooky, might as well better myself by reading a classic, right?

7.  The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley - I think this is by far and away the longest book on my shelves...I could likely play hooky for a solid week with this sucker!


8. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison - from the title alone, this sounds like a rip-roaring time!


9. A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe - another of my biggest books and one of my two Wolfe books that I have yet to read!

10. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry - another chunkster that I can't wait to read!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those, but they seem interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I love Neil Gaiman and Shadow in American Gods. I think Neverwhere was my favorite by him though (maybe because it was my first novel by him that I read). Great list! The Mists of Avalon are on TBR too!

    I'm now following you via GFC :]

    Here's my Top Ten: Lit Girl: Confessions of a Future Librarian (Top Ten)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 68% through with American Gods. I've been reading it v-e-r-y slowly on purpose, to savor it. I waited long enough. I knew within the first few pages that if I didn't pace myself I'd gobble it up and miss out on all of the stuff in it. So I read a little bit at a time, just like I do with The Name of the Wind.

    YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE AMERICAN GODS WHEN YOU READ IT. If I understand correctly that you haven't read this one yet. I LOVE mythology and there is mythology from EVERYWHERE in this book, and the concept is brilliant. The only Gaiman I had read prior was The Graveyard Book, and I knew I wanted to get this one under my belt before the TV show comes out in 2013...Gaiman plans to write another American Gods book (I read) so I needed to get it done. Just, wow. I think my next Gaiman will be Neverwhere, but WOW.

    And YAY for Blue Like Jazz. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love American Gods as well as one of Neil Gaiman's children's book The Graveyard Book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging just sounds like FUN. Great list! Would love for you to stop by and check out my Top Ten. Now following you with GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Angus books are amazing! So funny and easy to read...the glossary in the back is worth the price alone. American Gods sounds intriguing as well.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-tuesday-19-books-id-play-hooky.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many good things about Lonesome Dove. But it is most definitely huge and I really do feel like I would need to take a whole day to dive into it deeply to be able to get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Middlemarch is the only one I have read!

    ReplyDelete